Success is contingent on clearly knowing what you want and coming
up with an action plan that will get you there. It’s important to anticipate
the questions you must answer for yourself, your family, and your
1. Location: Are you willing to relocate? If not, what’s the longest
distance you will travel?
2. Satisfaction: Will you enjoy the type of work you are pursuing?
3. Compensation: Do you know the lowest acceptable compensation
You may not get exactly what you want for all three. You may even
need to do the pros and cons exercise to come up with suitable responses
that you can confidently believe in and convey. The general rule of thumb
I had for myself was to be satisfied if I could fulfill two of the three criteria
specific to location, job satisfaction, and compensation. However, again,
you must be prepared with your own answers and be able to confidently
articulate them. You may say to yourself, “I will accept two of the three,”
or “I will only accept all three,” or, “I will take what I can get as long as
I get one of the three.” Then, you must answer which of the three you
will accept. This comes with some internal soul searching, some budget
planning, and some deep conversations with any other parties impacted
by your decisions. Until you understand what you truly want and need,
you can’t realistically be prepared for a job search.
Thomas B. Dowd III’s business books available in softcover, eBook, and audiobook (From Fear to Success only):
- Time Management Manifesto: Expert Strategies to Create an Effective Work/Life Balance
- Displacement Day: When My Job was Looking for a Job…A Reference Guide to Finding Work received Honorable Mention in the General Non-Fiction Category at the 2014 Paris Book Festival and Honorable Mention in the Business category at the 2014 New York Book Festival
- The Transformation of a Doubting Thomas: Growing from a Cynic to a Professional in the Corporate World received Honorable Mention in the Business Category at the 2012 New England Book Festival
- From Fear to Success: A Practical Public-speaking Guide received the Gold Medal at the 2013 Axiom Business Book Awards in Business Reference, Honorable Mention at the 2013 New York Book Festival, and Honorable Mention at the 2013 Paris Book Festival.
Do you know about Avanoo? Two-to-three minute eLearning programs that can change your life. Here are my latest projects:
MP3 Downloads of “From Fear to Success: A Practical Public-speaking Guide” are available at Apple iTunes, Amazon, Rhapsody, Emusic, Nokia, Xbox Music, Spotify, Omnifone, Google Music Store, Rdio, Muve Music, Bloom.fm, Slacker Radio, MediaNet, 7digital, 24-7, Rumblefish, and Shazam “From Fear to Success” MP3 on CD Baby