If I stopped everything I was doing expecting my best leads to come
through, I would still be looking for a job. During my search, I interviewed
for a job where I was given the impression, or misinterpreted the
discussions in such a way as to believe, that I was a lock. Three weeks later,
the company reorganized the department and the open job was cancelled.
Luckily, I didn’t have to learn this lesson the hard way. I continued my
pursuit within minutes after that final interview. In another situation, I
was told by a recruiter to call him before I accepted anything else because
he had an opening that just needed to be finalized. I called a few times to
follow up, but was told that, “Things changed.” Things do change, and
your best prospects are only as good as the lead you are pursuing at this
very moment. Your job prospects turn to actual jobs when you start on
the first day. When you recognize that all leads can be fruitful but that
they are not guaranteed, you become more realistic in your views of the
process and more motivated to keep moving until you have solidified
your next position.
Thomas B. Dowd III’s books available in softcover, eBook, and audiobook (From Fear to Success only):
- Time Management Manifesto: Expert Strategies to Create an Effective Work/Life Balance
- Displacement Day: When My Job was Looking for a Job…A Reference Guide to Finding Work
- The Transformation of a Doubting Thomas: Growing from a Cynic to a Professional in the Corporate World
- From Fear to Success: A Practical Public-speaking Guide received the Gold Medal at the 2013 Axiom Business Book Awards in Business Reference
- The Unofficial Guide to Fatherhood
Do you know about Avanoo.com? Two-to-three minute eLearning programs that can change your life.
MP3 Downloads of “From Fear to Success: A Practical Public-speaking Guide” are available at Apple iTunes, Amazon, Rhapsody, Emusic, Nokia, Xbox Music, Spotify, Omnifone, Google Music Store, Rdio, Muve Music, Bloom.fm, Slacker Radio, MediaNet, 7digital, 24-7, Rumblefish, and Shazam “From Fear to Success” MP3 on CD Baby