“From Fear to Success” Audiobook= Keep It Simple
Write speeches that are well-matched with your personality,
your education, your style, and your comfort level. I consider myself
oversimplified in some cases, and that’s the way I like it. When I have
attempted to sound smart or use big words, I have found a growing
sense of discomfort and unease during the presentation. As speakers,
we should make every effort to use descriptive words that paint the
picture of what we are trying to say, but our word choice shouldn’t
deviate too far from who we are normally. Newscasts or effective writing
on the Internet intentionally uses shorter sentences with simple
words to grab the most attention (funny how I almost used “garner”
instead of “grab”—that would have been too ironic). Your credibility
comes from people getting to know who you are as a speaker personally.
If you start using words that don’t typically come from your
mouth, they will sound forced and fake, and potentially will hurt the
credibility you are working so hard to gain.
Thomas B. Dowd III’s books available in softcover, eBook, and audiobook (From Fear to Success only):
- Time Management Manifesto: Expert Strategies to Create an Effective Work/Life Balance
- Displacement Day: When My Job was Looking for a Job…A Reference Guide to Finding Work
- The Transformation of a Doubting Thomas: Growing from a Cynic to a Professional in the Corporate World
- From Fear to Success: A Practical Public-speaking Guide received the Gold Medal at the 2013 Axiom Business Book Awards in Business Reference
- The Unofficial Guide to Fatherhood
Do you know about Avanoo.com? Two-to-three minute eLearning programs that can change your life.
MP3 Downloads of “From Fear to Success: A Practical Public-speaking Guide” are available at Apple iTunes, Amazon, Rhapsody, Emusic, Nokia, Xbox Music, Spotify, Omnifone, Google Music Store, Rdio, Muve Music, Bloom.fm, Slacker Radio, MediaNet, 7digital, 24-7, Rumblefish, and Shazam “From Fear to Success” MP3 on CD Baby