Leads are just leads until you bring them to life. Every networking
session should end with, “Who else should I meet?” and, “Is there
anything else I should be doing, or doing differently?” I was asked on
many occasions during the job-seeking process if I knew a particular person.
If the answer was “yes,” I would set up an appointment with them.
If the answer was “no,” I asked if we could be introduced. Most times, I
didn’t try to keep it to a single business area or even try to determine how
close the connection was—it didn’t matter. What was important was that
leads were being offered and it became my responsibility to do something
with them. We have an opportunity to go beyond our immediate friends
and past colleagues to tap friends of friends, long-lost relatives, and every
other person who comes across our radar screen. If you have a lead, take
advantage and send out requests to network. The ability to ask questions
and find ways to connect the dots of your growing web of a network can
be intriguing and fun. You might surprise yourself at how fruitful it is to
be curious and pull that string all the way through.
Thomas B. Dowd III’s books available in softcover, eBook, and audiobook (From Fear to Success only):
- Time Management Manifesto: Expert Strategies to Create an Effective Work/Life Balance
- Displacement Day: When My Job was Looking for a Job…A Reference Guide to Finding Work
- The Transformation of a Doubting Thomas: Growing from a Cynic to a Professional in the Corporate World
- From Fear to Success: A Practical Public-speaking Guide received the Gold Medal at the 2013 Axiom Business Book Awards in Business Reference
- The Unofficial Guide to Fatherhood
Do you know about Avanoo.com? Two-to-three minute eLearning programs that can change your life.
MP3 Downloads of “From Fear to Success: A Practical Public-speaking Guide” are available at Apple iTunes, Amazon, Rhapsody, Emusic, Nokia, Xbox Music, Spotify, Omnifone, Google Music Store, Rdio, Muve Music, Bloom.fm, Slacker Radio, MediaNet, 7digital, 24-7, Rumblefish, and Shazam “From Fear to Success” MP3 on CD Baby