I was fascinated by the networking conversation I had with John
Brubaker, author of “The Coach Approach: Success Strategies From The
Locker Room to the Board Room.” He and I had many common interests
and hit it off right away, sharing notes about professional development.
John turned on his coaching charm and we found instant connections as
he shared his own stories of triumphs and tribulations when he was in a
similar situation. He left me with the following information to chew on:
• Know your ideal job in the perfect world.
• Recognize your unique talents and passions. Pursue ways to ensure
they are part of the job-search process to marry them with what
you’re looking for. You will be more motivated to follow a path of
something that drives you.
• Figure out whom to get in front of to help you pursue these ideal
jobs, unique talents, and passions.
• Know your strong general skills that can be carried with you and
emphasized regardless of field.
• Sell the abilities and competencies that make up these skills in a
targeted approach by aligning it to the jobs you’re interested in so
you don’t come across as a jack-of-all-trades and master of none.
o The jack-of-all-trades and master of none comment got my attention.
I would ask people who knew me well and people I’d
just met for their opinions of whether my story made me seem
like more of a generalist or a specialist, and made appropriate
adaptations based on their responses.
Thomas B. Dowd III’s books available in softcover, eBook, and audiobook (From Fear to Success only):
- Time Management Manifesto: Expert Strategies to Create an Effective Work/Life Balance
- Displacement Day: When My Job was Looking for a Job…A Reference Guide to Finding Work
- The Transformation of a Doubting Thomas: Growing from a Cynic to a Professional in the Corporate World
- From Fear to Success: A Practical Public-speaking Guide received the Gold Medal at the 2013 Axiom Business Book Awards in Business Reference
- The Unofficial Guide to Fatherhood
Do you know about Avanoo.com? Two-to-three minute eLearning programs that can change your life.
MP3 Downloads of “From Fear to Success: A Practical Public-speaking Guide” are available at Apple iTunes, Amazon, Rhapsody, Emusic, Nokia, Xbox Music, Spotify, Omnifone, Google Music Store, Rdio, Muve Music, Bloom.fm, Slacker Radio, MediaNet, 7digital, 24-7, Rumblefish, and Shazam “From Fear to Success” MP3 on CD Baby