According to discussions with several career centers, consultants, and
recruiters, I’ve heard that networking directly contributed to hiring
by as much as 85 percent. I believe it. Are you spending the majority of
your time putting in as many applications as possible, roaming websites,
or establishing networking sessions? Are you spending the right amount
of time with the right people? I want to continue to emphasize the need
to keep all options open, but it’s also important to evaluate your time and
prioritize how you choose to spend it.
I was invited to a local networking group about an hour away—in
Maine, everything is considered local based on how spread out the state is. I
strongly considered going until I compared the amount of time to get there
and aligned the types of business people who would be there compared to
my goals. Most of the attendees would be owners of small businesses. As
much as I am a supporter of small business, my immediate goals would
have been sacrificed each week for several hours to attend. I couldn’t afford
to give up prime contact hours. I don’t want to contradict my emphasis on
casting a broad net, but we can only throw it so far when there are only
twenty-four hours in a day. I chose to reprioritize my time around these
prime hours. There are a growing number of professional groups that are
phenomenal in getting people together to share stories and provide opportunities.
This particular one didn’t work out for me, but I was able to attend
several others at libraries and career centers that were productive for me as
one-time shots. It’s important to regularly evaluate whether something is
moving you forward toward your goals. The value may change over time, as
well, so be sure to reevaluate as time goes on.
Thomas B. Dowd III’s books available in softcover, eBook, and audiobook (From Fear to Success only):
- Now What? The Ultimate Graduation Gift for Professional Success
- Time Management Manifesto: Expert Strategies to Create an Effective Work/Life Balance
- Displacement Day: When My Job was Looking for a Job…A Reference Guide to Finding Work
- The Transformation of a Doubting Thomas: Growing from a Cynic to a Professional in the Corporate World
- From Fear to Success: A Practical Public-speaking Guide received the Gold Medal at the 2013 Axiom Business Book Awards in Business Reference
- The Unofficial Guide to Fatherhood
Do you know about Avanoo.com? Two-to-three minute eLearning programs that can change your life.