I was told by a friend that “It’s okay to be angry.” My internal response
was, “At who? For what?” My former company made a budget decision.
It’s the cost of doing business. I confirmed it had nothing to do with
job performance and began to see that good could and would come out of
the situation. I could have screamed or punched a wall. I guess I realized
early on that logic and action would get me to my next goal. I chose to
pursue my goals with action and not waste unnecessary energy on What
Could Have Been scenarios. Your work identity with your old company
ended on the day that you left. Now is the time to pursue the next stage
in your life. I only recall one truly bad day where I felt that nothing was
going right, as you may recall from the headhunter chapter. You’ll find
out about the day when I genuinely understood how headhunters worked
in an upcoming chapter.
Even looking back on the sea of red-colored Microsoft Excel spreadsheet
cells showing all my rejections or leads with no progress, I only saw
that the next phone call or email would be the one to change the course
of my life and career. If I had wasted time, someone else may have been
landing my job. I chose to attack the situation with a strong work ethic—
my job was to look for a job. I was working for myself and for my family
and I wanted to succeed—I had to get over it. It was not unusual for me
to put in ten to twelve hour days looking for my next job, knowing that
the payoff would be worth it.
Thomas B. Dowd III’s books available in softcover, eBook, and audiobook (From Fear to Success only):
- Now What? The Ultimate Graduation Gift for Professional Success
- Time Management Manifesto: Expert Strategies to Create an Effective Work/Life Balance
- Displacement Day: When My Job was Looking for a Job…A Reference Guide to Finding Work
- The Transformation of a Doubting Thomas: Growing from a Cynic to a Professional in the Corporate World
- From Fear to Success: A Practical Public-speaking Guide received the Gold Medal at the 2013 Axiom Business Book Awards in Business Reference
- The Unofficial Guide to Fatherhood
Do you know about Avanoo.com? Two-to-three minute eLearning programs that can change your life.