You are bound to run into other unemployed people. In fact, a close
friend of mine was looking for a job at the same time. I could have
said we were competing for openings, but in reality we simply shared best
practices, gave each other advice, and maintained the special “unemployment
bond” that brought us even closer. When we both landed jobs within
a couple weeks of each other, the success was only sweeter. My two
months of unemployment was full of mistakes and lessons learned. I felt a
need to share this information with anyone I thought could benefit from
it. I considered this invested time, while always testing my theories and
getting feedback on my trials and tribulations for the future. A job may
not be right for you but if someone else comes to mind, pay it forward.
In these desperate times, it sounds counterintuitive, but it’s important
to share your expertise and knowledge and expect nothing in return.
Whether you are in a one-on-one session, talking with career centers,
or speaking with professional/networking groups, you should willingly
participate. You obviously don’t want to come across as a know-it-all, but
you will gain credibility and value naturally when people see your selfless
behavior and leadership skills. When you do things because it’s the right
thing to do, not because you need a job, the job ends up finding you. It
may take some time, but your patience and generosity will pay dividends
for you over time.
Thomas B. Dowd III’s books available in softcover, eBook, and audiobook (From Fear to Success only):
- Now What? The Ultimate Graduation Gift for Professional Success
- Time Management Manifesto: Expert Strategies to Create an Effective Work/Life Balance
- Displacement Day: When My Job was Looking for a Job…A Reference Guide to Finding Work
- The Transformation of a Doubting Thomas: Growing from a Cynic to a Professional in the Corporate World
- From Fear to Success: A Practical Public-speaking Guide received the Gold Medal at the 2013 Axiom Business Book Awards in Business Reference
- The Unofficial Guide to Fatherhood
Do you know about Avanoo.com? Two-to-three minute eLearning programs that can change your life.
MP3 Downloads of “From Fear to Success: A Practical Public-speaking Guide” are available at Apple iTunes, Amazon, Rhapsody, Emusic, Nokia, Xbox Music, Spotify, Omnifone, Google Music Store, Rdio, Muve Music, Bloom.fm, Slacker Radio, MediaNet, 7digital, 24-7, Rumblefish, and Shazam “From Fear to Success” MP3 on CD Baby