Post from Transformation Tom™- Know What You Want: Chapter from “Displacement Day: When My Job was Looking for a Job”
When looking for a job, do you know what you want–not just the type of job, but long-term thinking?
A motivational speaker by the name of Lewis Timberlake mentioned this
almost fifteen years ago when I saw him, and I never forgot it.
• Know what you want.
• Know that you deserve it.
• Know what you’re giving up to get it.
The third bullet always grabs me, because many of us often feel we
deserve so much more than we have or get. The question is, “What are
you willing to give up to get it?” Are you willing to travel more than you
ever have? Are you willing to see your family less? Are you willing to work
from home? Are you willing to take a pay cut to get your foot in the door?
Are you willing to shift other priorities? Are you willing to work eighty-hour
work weeks? The questions can go on and on. We may get a high
paying job, but are you getting the other things in return, such as job
satisfaction? Know exactly what you want.
Thomas B. Dowd III’s books available in softcover, eBook, and audiobook (From Fear to Success only):
- Now What? The Ultimate Graduation Gift for Professional Success
- Time Management Manifesto: Expert Strategies to Create an Effective Work/Life Balance
- Displacement Day: When My Job was Looking for a Job…A Reference Guide to Finding Work
- The Transformation of a Doubting Thomas: Growing from a Cynic to a Professional in the Corporate World
- From Fear to Success: A Practical Public-speaking Guide received the Gold Medal at the 2013 Axiom Business Book Awards in Business Reference
- The Unofficial Guide to Fatherhood
Do you know about Avanoo.com? Two-to-three minute eLearning programs that can change your life.
MP3 Downloads of “From Fear to Success: A Practical Public-speaking Guide” are available at Apple iTunes, Amazon, Rhapsody, Emusic, Nokia, Xbox Music, Spotify, Omnifone, Google Music Store, Rdio, Muve Music, Bloom.fm, Slacker Radio, MediaNet, 7digital, 24-7, Rumblefish, and Shazam “From Fear to Success” MP3 on CD Baby