Are all of your eggs in the same basket? Were you panicked because
your entire network was from the same company, or worse, from
your building location? Not everyone is in the same position when it
comes to building a network. Some networks are more mature than others,
and connecting with people who immediately surround you at work
is a good start. However, your ability to expand beyond your existing
company will open up more opportunities for you. For example, are you
part of any professional groups or clubs such as Rotary, Lions or Kiwanis?
Are your kids in school, sports, or clubs? I found this opened up a significant
amount of doors by giving me the chance to meet other children’s
parents. Your employer provides great opportunities to build your network,
but that should be a building block and not the only way that you
meet people and network. It’s time to fly out of the nest and broaden your
horizons. Recognize that networking opportunities surround you, and be
open to tapping into them.
Thomas B. Dowd III’s books available in softcover, eBook, and audiobook (From Fear to Success only):
- Now What? The Ultimate Graduation Gift for Professional Success
- Time Management Manifesto: Expert Strategies to Create an Effective Work/Life Balance
- Displacement Day: When My Job was Looking for a Job…A Reference Guide to Finding Work
- The Transformation of a Doubting Thomas: Growing from a Cynic to a Professional in the Corporate World
- From Fear to Success: A Practical Public-speaking Guide received the Gold Medal at the 2013 Axiom Business Book Awards in Business Reference
- The Unofficial Guide to Fatherhood
Do you know about Avanoo.com? Two-to-three minute eLearning programs that can change your life.
MP3 Downloads of “From Fear to Success: A Practical Public-speaking Guide” are available at Apple iTunes, Amazon, Rhapsody, Emusic, Nokia, Xbox Music, Spotify, Omnifone, Google Music Store, Rdio, Muve Music, Bloom.fm, Slacker Radio, MediaNet, 7digital, 24-7, Rumblefish, and Shazam “From Fear to Success” MP3 on CD Baby