Similar to the SWOT Analysis blog, the multi-generation plan takes the
brainstormed strategic ideas from the SWOT analysis and turns them
into tactical ideas. We are often asked in interviews, “What would you do
on day one?” The multi-generation plan answers what you will do on Day
30, Day 60, and Day 90.
I like to create a simple grid with columns labeled 30 Days, 60 Days,
and 90 Days. The rows along the left side can be labeled and organized
any way that you want. My favorite labeling method usually revolves
around how I would address needs specific to people, process, and technology
in my new role, while more technical roles are better suited to use the
DMAIC methodology from process design in the category column (e.g.,
design, measure, analyze, improve, and control). Again, you’re invited to
use what works best for your particular situation.
More than once during the job search process, a hiring manager was
impressed with the plan and actually used it—even when I wasn’t hired.
The plan leaves a lasting impression and differentiates you. I don’t always
share it unless it naturally fits into the conversation. My goal for doing
this work is related to being prepared, and having a literal plan of attack
for when I get hired. On my first day of work with my new employer,
I was able to turn my multi-generation plan into a task list, and hit the
ground running. Please note that due to the length of time to complete,
it’s recommended to be selective in the use of this tool. However, it is
highly suggested for use with the best leads.
Thomas B. Dowd III’s books available in softcover, eBook, and audiobook (From Fear to Success only):
- Now What? The Ultimate Graduation Gift for Professional Success
- Time Management Manifesto: Expert Strategies to Create an Effective Work/Life Balance
- Displacement Day: When My Job was Looking for a Job…A Reference Guide to Finding Work
- The Transformation of a Doubting Thomas: Growing from a Cynic to a Professional in the Corporate World
- From Fear to Success: A Practical Public-speaking Guide received the Gold Medal at the 2013 Axiom Business Book Awards in Business Reference
- The Unofficial Guide to Fatherhood
MP3 Downloads of “From Fear to Success: A Practical Public-speaking Guide” are available at Apple iTunes, Amazon, Rhapsody, Emusic, Nokia, Xbox Music, Spotify, Omnifone, Google Music Store, Rdio, Muve Music, Bloom.fm, Slacker Radio, MediaNet, 7digital, 24-7, Rumblefish, and Shazam “From Fear to Success” MP3 on CD Baby