Without shoving my résumé and marketing plan down everyone’s
throat, I wasn’t shy about including it in emails and handing it
out as much as possible—when it made sense. In addition to attaching it
to every networking invitation, I made it part of my daily routine to create
an online profile with companies I was interested in, and also uploaded
it to career-assistance websites. These types of opportunities surround
us if we look hard enough. For example, I found a strong information
source with Career Management Associates. CMA is an HR consulting
firm for Northern New England (www.cmacareer.com). Although more
jobs will come from networking connections, there are opportunities locally,
regionally, and nationally where companies and recruiters actively
scan these types of websites. What could it hurt?
Another reason for getting the résumé out there is an objective opinion.
Being unemployed had me staring at my résumé for what seemed
like hours each day. As your résumé is being circulated, people will inevitably
provide unsolicited advice (or solicited if we’re smart enough to
ask). Some of the better pieces of feedback came from these objective
observers. A second set of eyes can also pick up on any typos. If you are
adjusting the résumé along the way—as you should in order to target
positions with your competencies—you may miss a crucial edit. What
always seems like a simple, quick change has a tendency to go unnoticed
until the most inopportune time.
Thomas B. Dowd III’s books available in softcover, eBook, and audiobook (From Fear to Success only):
- Now What? The Ultimate Graduation Gift for Professional Success
- Time Management Manifesto: Expert Strategies to Create an Effective Work/Life Balance
- Displacement Day: When My Job was Looking for a Job…A Reference Guide to Finding Work
- The Transformation of a Doubting Thomas: Growing from a Cynic to a Professional in the Corporate World
- From Fear to Success: A Practical Public-speaking Guide received the Gold Medal at the 2013 Axiom Business Book Awards in Business Reference
- The Unofficial Guide to Fatherhood
Do you know about Avanoo.com? Two-to-three minute eLearning programs that can change your life.
MP3 Downloads of “From Fear to Success: A Practical Public-speaking Guide” are available at Apple iTunes, Amazon, Rhapsody, Emusic, Nokia, Xbox Music, Spotify, Omnifone, Google Music Store, Rdio, Muve Music, Bloom.fm, Slacker Radio, MediaNet, 7digital, 24-7, Rumblefish, and Shazam “From Fear to Success” MP3 on CD Baby