If you have a significant amount of expertise in a certain field, there are
plenty of opportunities to contract and consult. There are pros and
cons. The consultant or independent contractor is typically paid better,
because companies don’t have the extra expense of health benefit costs
and they have a clear ending deadline, paying only for actual work being
done. For both parties, it can become a trial for potential full-time work.
On the down side, as a contractor you must always be concerned with the
length of your contract, and try to stay ahead of when the next potential
contract may come. Additionally, contractors often put in a lot of work
in a condensed period of time. However, you get the higher pay and have
an independent and entrepreneurial approach to getting the work done.
At the very least, it can bridge the gap between full-time jobs. It is worth
an individual assessment to see if it can work for you.
Thomas B. Dowd III’s books available in softcover, eBook, and audiobook (From Fear to Success only):
- Now What? The Ultimate Graduation Gift for Professional Success
- Time Management Manifesto: Expert Strategies to Create an Effective Work/Life Balance
- Displacement Day: When My Job was Looking for a Job…A Reference Guide to Finding Work
- The Transformation of a Doubting Thomas: Growing from a Cynic to a Professional in the Corporate World
- From Fear to Success: A Practical Public-speaking Guide received the Gold Medal at the 2013 Axiom Business Book Awards in Business Reference
- The Unofficial Guide to Fatherhood
Do you know about Avanoo.com? Two-to-three minute eLearning programs that can change your life.
MP3 Downloads of “From Fear to Success: A Practical Public-speaking Guide” are available at Apple iTunes, Amazon, Rhapsody, Emusic, Nokia, Xbox Music, Spotify, Omnifone, Google Music Store, Rdio, Muve Music, Bloom.fm, Slacker Radio, MediaNet, 7digital, 24-7, Rumblefish, and Shazam “From Fear to Success” MP3 on CD Baby