The day will come when you find the job. The day you’ve been waiting
for. You’re euphoric; your new work identity is being forged. Now
what? Besides setting yourself up to start the new job right on day one by
beginning to fulfill your multi-generation plan and SWOT analysis, you
have an opportunity to express your sincere gratitude to the people who
helped you along the way. I bet your network was an incredible help in
landing you the new job. After the thanks are doled out, it doesn’t end.
The network is a living and breathing thing that must be nurtured; some
relationships need to be further developed, while others should be deepened.
You must keep in contact with your network. The frequency of contact
depends on your needs, their needs, and the people themselves. There
are still plenty of people in my network with whom I have too shallow a
relationship, which needs to be addressed, while I still want to reinvent
myself with older contacts. More importantly, there may be some people
out there who I can help the way that others helped me.
You’re deserving of a breather and a huge celebration for your hard
work. As with the earlier message of jumping in immediately to get the
job-search process started, it’s important for the growth and strength of
your network to maintain contact and not take networking time off.
When done correctly, your network will blossom and continue to do
work for you. Just as important, you can be the type of supportive person
you wanted others to be when you were unemployed.
Thomas B. Dowd III’s books available in softcover, eBook, and audiobook (From Fear to Success only):
- Now What? The Ultimate Graduation Gift for Professional Success
- Time Management Manifesto: Expert Strategies to Create an Effective Work/Life Balance
- Displacement Day: When My Job was Looking for a Job…A Reference Guide to Finding Work
- The Transformation of a Doubting Thomas: Growing from a Cynic to a Professional in the Corporate World
- From Fear to Success: A Practical Public-speaking Guide received the Gold Medal at the 2013 Axiom Business Book Awards in Business Reference
- The Unofficial Guide to Fatherhood
Do you know about Avanoo.com? Two-to-three minute eLearning programs that can change your life.
MP3 Downloads of “From Fear to Success: A Practical Public-speaking Guide” are available at Apple iTunes, Amazon, Rhapsody, Emusic, Nokia, Xbox Music, Spotify, Omnifone, Google Music Store, Rdio, Muve Music, Bloom.fm, Slacker Radio, MediaNet, 7digital, 24-7, Rumblefish, and Shazam “From Fear to Success” MP3 on CD Baby