I used to do a monthly presentation at work for newer employees.
The topic was often financial fraud, which can be a scary or fascinating
topic, depending on how the audience relates to it. I tried to have fun
with it to ease the mood and hold the audience members’ attention.
I started to receive consistent feedback that I was funny and engaging
on this potentially complicated topic. I went home and told my
wife and she simply said sarcastically, in the way only a spouse could,
“You’re not funny.”
I have retold this story many times and always seem to get some
laughs. I do have my funny moments, and it is important to inject
humor into your presentations, when possible. Not every presentation
is required to have humor, but if you can find a way to appropriately
add it in, even during serious presentations, you will give your audience
a release and the chance to get more involved in the presentation.
Thomas B. Dowd III’s books available in softcover, eBook, and audiobook (From Fear to Success only):
- Now What? The Ultimate Graduation Gift for Professional Success
- Time Management Manifesto: Expert Strategies to Create an Effective Work/Life Balance
- Displacement Day: When My Job was Looking for a Job…A Reference Guide to Finding Work
- The Transformation of a Doubting Thomas: Growing from a Cynic to a Professional in the Corporate World
- From Fear to Success: A Practical Public-speaking Guide received the Gold Medal at the 2013 Axiom Business Book Awards in Business Reference
- The Unofficial Guide to Fatherhood
See “Products” for details on www.transformationtom.com. Book, eBook, and audiobook (From Fear to Success only) purchase options are also available on Amazon- Please click the link to be re-directed: Amazon.com