We all laugh, cry and even scream when we see something scary.
Have you ever noticed that laugh tracks are included in many sitcoms
on television because laughter is contagious? Everyone does it. David
Brooks, the 1990 Toastmasters World Champion of Public Speaking,
shared a story on his “Dave’s Top Ten Techniques Every Speaker
Should Know” CD about an article in the Austin American Statesman
(LM Boyd’s “Trivia” column) that mentioned that we all share the
same emotions: happiness, sadness, anger, surprise, disgust, and fear.
As we search high and low for stories that can hit the mark, maybe we
don’t have to look so hard. Simple stories can touch one of the emotions
listed above and are guaranteed to relate to the audience in some
way. As you share your emotions, you will see members of the audience
thinking of a similar time when they felt the same emotion. Sharing
emotions instantly connects you to the audience.
Thomas B. Dowd III’s books available in softcover, eBook, and audiobook (From Fear to Success only):
- Now What? The Ultimate Graduation Gift for Professional Success
- Time Management Manifesto: Expert Strategies to Create an Effective Work/Life Balance
- Displacement Day: When My Job was Looking for a Job…A Reference Guide to Finding Work
- The Transformation of a Doubting Thomas: Growing from a Cynic to a Professional in the Corporate World
- From Fear to Success: A Practical Public-speaking Guide received the Gold Medal at the 2013 Axiom Business Book Awards in Business Reference
- The Unofficial Guide to Fatherhood
See “Products” for details on www.transformationtom.com. Book , eBook, and audiobook (From Fear to Success only) purchase options are also available on Amazon- Please click the link to be re-directed: Amazon.com