Didn’t I just mention in the last post that you should know your
lowest acceptable compensation offer? So, you may be asking where
the other two salaries come from? Sometimes we can’t get what we want,
while other times we undervalue our services due to what we perceive
as desperate circumstances. If you land with the right organization, you
should be paid in close proximity to your worth. However, only you define
that worth, and you need to be ready to negotiate. In some cases, you
must be willing to walk away. The three salaries you must know are:
1. Your dream job. What is your high end of the scale?
2. What is the acceptable range? What are you worth based on your
experience, your skills, and the job for which you are applying? You
must do your homework.
3. What is the absolute lowest, drop-dead number that can be put on
the table that you will still accept? You obviously won’t start negotiations
with this number, but you need to be prepared for it.
As for negotiations, you must assume that every company negotiates.
Be prepared for that, and don’t simply take the first offer without some
discussion. Some companies may not negotiate, but it’s always worth asking
rather than assuming. Even non-management positions most likely
work within a range.
Thomas B. Dowd III’s books available in softcover, eBook, and audiobook (From Fear to Success only):
- Now What? The Ultimate Graduation Gift for Professional Success
- Time Management Manifesto: Expert Strategies to Create an Effective Work/Life Balance
- Displacement Day: When My Job was Looking for a Job…A Reference Guide to Finding Work
- The Transformation of a Doubting Thomas: Growing from a Cynic to a Professional in the Corporate World
- From Fear to Success: A Practical Public-speaking Guide received the Gold Medal at the 2013 Axiom Business Book Awards in Business Reference
- The Unofficial Guide to Fatherhood
See “Products” for details on www.transformationtom.com. Book , eBook, and audiobook (From Fear to Success only) purchase options are also available on Amazon- Please click the link to be re-directed: Amazon.com