Are you prepared for this moment? If you even hesitated to answer,
it’s time to start preparing yourself. As stable as we think we are
in any employment situation, including your current position if you are
employed, that situation can change at any time. You must plan for the
worst-case scenario or valuable time will be wasted as you scramble to
figure out your next step. If you are scrambling, don’t forget about the
emotional rollercoaster you’ll be on—meaning your head won’t be on
straight and your thinking will most likely not be clear to start the process.
Whether you are in a seemingly stable job now or you’re out of
work at this moment, do you know your strategy? What’s your end game?
What are your immediate and long-term goals?
It’s important to have a clear vision—in writing. When we are in the scrambling
mode, we make quick decisions, rash judgments, or we go back and
forth between strategies and actions we want to execute. To avoid that,
investing time to clarify your goals ahead of time will be beneficial because
it provides a map to follow. This is your playbook, giving you the tactics
needed to get where you want to go. Once you write it all out, it starts to
feed and expand the vision further, which will only help. Try not to become
so focused on your targeted goals that you lose sight of the peripherals, such
as maintaining a strong network. Written goals, however, have been proven
time and time again to exponentially increase success. It’s okay to also have
multiple paths on this journey—AKA Plan A, Plan B, and Plan C—but the
more clearly laid out the paths are, the more you can proactively take the
actions needed to get you to your end goal.
Thomas B. Dowd III’s books available in softcover, eBook, and audiobook (From Fear to Success only):
- Now What? The Ultimate Graduation Gift for Professional Success
- Time Management Manifesto: Expert Strategies to Create an Effective Work/Life Balance
- Displacement Day: When My Job was Looking for a Job…A Reference Guide to Finding Work
- The Transformation of a Doubting Thomas: Growing from a Cynic to a Professional in the Corporate World
- From Fear to Success: A Practical Public-speaking Guide received the Gold Medal at the 2013 Axiom Business Book Awards in Business Reference
- The Unofficial Guide to Fatherhood
See “Products” for details on www.transformationtom.com. Book , eBook, and audiobook (From Fear to Success only) purchase options are also available on Amazon- Please click the link to be re-directed: Amazon.com