After so many years in the same job, we feel entitled to things like
more vacation time, higher pay, and opportunities for promotions.
If you’re looking for a job, that all goes out the window. Skills, experience,
talent, expertise, and tenure may no longer be enough. Do you know
what companies are looking for? Is the make-up of a corporate culture
young and hip? Are they looking for independent thinkers who are creative
and innovative? You may not be able to put all of the weight you want on
a certain skill set you possess, your years of experience, or your specific expertise.
All of these components may support a way to differentiate yourself,
but they could also be a hindrance if you put all of your stock into
saying that your résumé will sell everything for you. Today’s environment
is constantly evolving, and certain organizations may be looking for traits
that go beyond experience level or past years doing a particular job. The
important thing to remember is not to be surprised when this happens.
What’s vital is that you understand how to deepen your own thinking to
align yourself to the creative thinking of the culture of the organizations
you want to be a part of. Once you start to work with it, you will become
more nimble in your job-seeking and networking discussions.
Thomas B. Dowd III’s books available in softcover, eBook, and audiobook (From Fear to Success only):
- Now What? The Ultimate Graduation Gift for Professional Success
- Time Management Manifesto: Expert Strategies to Create an Effective Work/Life Balance
- Displacement Day: When My Job was Looking for a Job…A Reference Guide to Finding Work
- The Transformation of a Doubting Thomas: Growing from a Cynic to a Professional in the Corporate World
- From Fear to Success: A Practical Public-speaking Guide received the Gold Medal at the 2013 Axiom Business Book Awards in Business Reference
- The Unofficial Guide to Fatherhood
Do you know about Avanoo.com? Two-to-three minute eLearning programs that can change your life.
MP3 Downloads of “From Fear to Success: A Practical Public-speaking Guide” are available at Apple iTunes, Amazon, Rhapsody, Emusic, Nokia, Xbox Music, Spotify, Omnifone, Google Music Store, Rdio, Muve Music, Bloom.fm, Slacker Radio, MediaNet, 7digital, 24-7, Rumblefish, and Shazam “From Fear to Success” MP3 on CD Baby