I used to lie in bed and roll around with constant thoughts in my head: What do I have to do tomorrow? On no! Look at the clock. Tomorrow is now today. I would get ideas in my head, and keep kicking those ideas around to enable myself to remember them in the morning, thus sleeping poorly and often not even remembering it anyway. One of the greatest time management tips I can offer is a simple pad of paper at your nightstand. I’m now in the habit of waking up when I have an idea—most times I’m groggy, but it’s now ingrained in me to immediately write it down. I then drift off for the best night sleep ever, knowing that my ideas or follow-up items are waiting for me when I wake up for the new day.
Grab a pad of paper and a pen, put it next to your nightstand, and simply wait for the ideas to flow. When random thoughts wake you, write them down immediately. This has numerous benefits. First, you won’t forget. Second, you’ll sleep better. Finally—and the greatest benefit of all—you will have stronger ideas since you have reached the inner non-stressed part of your brain.
Thomas B. Dowd III’s books available in softcover, eBook, and audiobook (From Fear to Success only):
- Down the Chute: A Toboggan Tale (children’s book)
- Now What? The Ultimate Graduation Gift for Professional Success
- Time Management Manifesto: Expert Strategies to Create an Effective Work/Life Balance
- Displacement Day: When My Job was Looking for a Job…A Reference Guide to Finding Work
- The Transformation of a Doubting Thomas: Growing from a Cynic to a Professional in the Corporate World
- From Fear to Success: A Practical Public-speaking Guide received the Gold Medal at the 2013 Axiom Business Book Awards in Business Reference
- The Unofficial Guide to Fatherhood
See “Products” for details on www.transformationtom.com. Book and eBook purchase options are also available on Amazon- Please click the link to be re-directed: Amazon.com